Swift Memorial Junior College and Swift College was founded in 1883 by the Rev. Dr. William Henderson Franklin of Knoxville, the first black graduate of Maryville College. The school was named for the Rev. Elijah E. Swift, president of Board of Missions for Freedmen. swift College served the area until 1995 when it was converted to a public high school. Shortly after, its students were integrated into the Hawkins County public school system. The lovely administration building has been torn down, but a number of the buildings remain and are used as offices by the Hawkins County Board of Education. The enclosed cemetery on the left contains the graves of Dr. and Mrs. Franklin.